I apologise for not posting sooner, I kept leaving my photos behind!
I started my resin pendant making tutorial by going through the materials needed to get started. In this post I'll be demonstrating how to cast them.
- Measure out your mix.
As I said in Part 1, please be careful to measure the correct proportions for the 2 parts. Some brands have a catlyst to mix with the resin, others have two types of resin. I'll be demonstrating with the Aldax resin that requires equal amounts of 2 resins to be mixed.
- Pour the 2 parts into a single container and mix thoroughly with a popcicle stick. I prefer to use a completely seperate cup to mix in, that way I can reuse the measuring cups without ruining them.
The resin should appear shimmery (is that a word?) as you mix it.
- At this point you can choose to add things to your resin to add color or texture. It's totally up to you to decide what to add (refer back to Part 1 for some ideas). For this tutorial I've added some pink pigment. This will remain transparent, but pink :)
Note: This is not when you place a solid item in the resin. That is a different method which I will cover in another post.
- Spray a layer of release agent onto your mold.
- Pour the resin. That's it. No fancy tricks. Just make sure you get it in the mold. Or if you can't, make sure it doesn't hit anything that can't get ruined (like your new black work pants...).
- Lastly, place the mold in a dry, warm spot where cats, frogs, other humans and any other curious creature can get to it. Don't touch it for 48 hours. Seriously. You will look at it after 24 hrs and think "that looks done" but it isn't. 24 hours after that you'll realise what finished looks like. Trust me. I still do it.
So that's Part 2. I hope it was worth the wait. The next part will cover the variation in the method that is used for casting objects, and the last part will cover finishing your items.
Thanks a lot for reading (and referring... hint, hint) and I shall leave you with a picture of my warm place away from cats, frogs, humans and especially me :D